Friday, April 20, 2012

MEGA-MEGA PIXELS?

Pentax 35-105 f9.5, 1/2000, ISO 800 (manual settings including focus)
f11, 1/500 ISO 800 Pentax 18-55
So here I am once again. A little later than usual, but here none the less.

I was a little short on content today, not sure why, just a block I guess. While looking for things to share, without giving next week away, I started looking through my archives from 2005. 

Brief history: I took the digital step in 2005. Put my film body away and bought my first DSLR. Since I was shooting Pentax at the time it seemed like a logical step so I bought an istDs (6mp) with the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens. I already had a great 35f2, 50f2 and 200mmf4 I was using for film and thought I'd stick with that for the learning curve.

At that time I was shooting slide film and using them for layouts as backgrounds for everything from brochures to Pop-up displays (7 feet high). Yes the images were that sharp. I shot 100 and 50 ISO only.

Now remember, this was when 6 mega pixel was "WOW". I was pretty content. I got my shots in my little hands right away, so to speak, and off I went.

Pentax 35-105, f9.5, 1/1500 ISO 800
First commercial endeavour with this camera was the summer of 2005 (got the camera in May 2005) shooting the production process of a pottery studio for the interpretive panels I was designing.

I shot the whole thing as RAW and processed in Aperture 1.We reviewed the shoot on my laptop on site.  All new and all COOOOOL. All went well. I may post photos of the store sometime in the future.

Since then I've used K10s and K20s, sticking with the Pentax philosophy, to achieve what I needed and invested moderately to heavily (I don't think you can spend just a little money on camera gear, not possible).

Now back to what I thought I'd talk about. Recently the buzz has been about lots and lots of mega pixels. I myself, have just switched over to a full frame 21mp body and a set of superior glass. No it's not Pentax, if you haven't guessed it's Canon. Time for my leap and start playing with the big dogs.

I have a good friend that just ordered the Nikon D800. He's been shooting a D70 since about the same time I've got the istDs. 36 pixel heaven he calls it.

So as I said, I was looking through my archives of 2005, and came across some early personal stuff I'd like to share. 

Pentax 35-105, f6.7, 1/4000, ISO 800

One being my first Superbike Nationals in Shubenacadie, NS. I'm a bit of a gear head and had fun but was no where near prepared for what I'd need to shoot. I had my 18-55 and a full frame film lens, Pentax 35-105 f3.5 macro (manual focus I picked up second hand). This is a 52-157 on the C size sensor of the istDs.

Got there and watched the experienced sports guys in action with the monster 3 and 400's still shooting film. Good thing I was there to watch the show and not shoot for money. Definitely a no go. The other subjects, I'm showing, I was a little bit more familiar with, boats and my kids.

Pentax 18-55 f16, 1/180, ISO 200
Pentax 18-55 f13, 1/180 ISO 200
All this is simply leading to that discussion of mega pixels. For the average guy that wants to shoot for fun, who needs 21 or 36. My friend needs 36, he says, because he wants to shoot landscape and print BIG. So he's got a point. I shoot to profit and for the love of it. I can't afford to miss that money maker.

But 6 or 10 or 12 should make most every body happy, with good glass of course. The ist Ds is now in my son's hands and the K20 in my wife's. I expect them to be happy for quite some time.

PS, I may go back this year and try my hand at it shooting the bikes again, now with a few more digital years under my belt. Maybe I can drag my friend along with his new acquisition, if he ever gets it (lots of orders ahead of him I'm afraid).

Hope you enjoy these. Comment if you wish. Have a good weekend.

Derek

No comments: