Friday, February 6, 2009

Showroom shoot













Hi everyone, I'd like to share this shoot with you. It's the interior of one of my clients showrooms I shot on Wednesday.

As you can see they sell pianos.

What I want to share is the results of a challenging space. Or at least I thought it would be.

I used my K20D at 100ISO and a multiple of lenses I find helpful when shooting interiors. They include an smc PENTAX DA 10-17mmF3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fish-Eye ( which is what I shot the lead photo with ), an smc PENTAX DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) and a smc PENTAX DA Star 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM lens.

The showroom had plenty of available light. As a matter of fact I turned off many of the over head flouresent bar lights and waited until sunset to really start shooting so I wouldn't be adding natural light from the front windows. For fill light I used two portable studio lights ( Opus Pro SE 250's with a 36" and a 48" softboxes ). I like using these because I can still shoot at low ISO with relatively slow shutter speeds, still bracket my shots and not overpower the ambiance of the space I'm shooting.

The lights, although not incredibly fast to cycle are always up when I need them and add a nice diffused source. As you can imagine, photographing incredibly shiny surfaces in a multitude of reflective angles isn't easy. That is if you don't want to see you, or your lights in the frame, that is.

Fortunately, I was able to use everything wirelessly, since I would always be in line of sight, which meant I could focus on the best angles to capture these beautiful instruments.

The lead photo was shot out of creativity more than commercial usage, although I may use it on a cover. The specs are as follows: ISO100, .7sec, f/9.5, custom WB with my 10-17mm fish eye at 10mm with one Softbox at full strenght for the side fill light. Post processing was done in Adobe Lightroom 2.0.

Here's a [link] to the rest of my chosen shots from the shoot.

I hope you enjoy, Derek

No comments: