Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Village between storms


Prospect NS 5D MK II, Canon 70-200f2.8 -  f11, 1/50, ISO 50







Good Wednesday from Prospect. Today I thought I'd share the mix of weather here.

I planned to sneak down to Prospect Village in the morning between two weather systems we are experiencing here.

The day started completely enveloped in fog. Could barely see the end of the yard.
Around 9:30a the fog rolled back with clear sky's at the studio.  I happened to be on the deck with coffee in hand and could hear the roar of the surf 4 miles away. It's quite common after a big windy storm. That got me itching to head down to the village to see what it was looking like.

So off I trekked with gear stowed in the back of the car for the 4 mile trip. The scene didn't disappoint in the least. From the top of the hill looking into Prospect village you could see how far the fog had rolled back to reveal the tranquillity of a 258 year old Irish Catholic fishing village. Founded after Halifax in 1754 by the British, used as a fishing stop over and safe anchorage since before 1612 by the French, and inhabited by the local native Mi'kmaq* for longer than we know. 

Anyway, as you can see I had to get to work on the scene since I didn't know how long the weather would hold. The day presented me with good overcast sky for lighting. Since I was breaking rule one, morning and evening light for landscape, I thought I could use the next best thing in over cast conditions.

5D MK II, Canon 70-200f2.8 -  f5.0, 1/320, ISO 50
5D MK II, Canon 16-35 f2.8
f2.8, 1/500, ISO 50
The sound I heard was definitely the surf just outside the village but I'd have to leave those shots for another time. With the fog position it kept the surf in a haze so I'd do more of those some other time. Trust me, lots of opportunities here to get shots of surf and breakers on the shore.

As well, I only came prepared to shoot what I could get close to by car (short waking distances anyway). I've ordered a new sling bag to let me trek off to get closer to that stuff but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll show you that when I get it. All my gear was still in the pelican case for now.

Here are a few shots of the morning. I mean I couldn't come back empty now could I.

BTW, by the time I post this it should be raining again with the fog back in.

Enjoy and we'll see you tomorrow. Derek


The full scene taken from the cemetery when I arrived. 5D MK II, Sigma 50 f 1.4 -  f11, 1/50, ISO 50 
*Note: There are still references to the reserve in the mid 1950s on government maps. As a matter of fact there is an ancient Mi'kmaq burial site just north of my studio. If you're interested in finding out more about Prospect you can go HERE.

No comments: