Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A little beauty on the Halifax Waterfront

Good Wednesday from Prospect. 

Today I'm going back a bit in time, September 26, 2007 to be exact. I was shooting a Pentax K10 with an smc Pentax 12-24 f4.0 This camera was a C-size, CCD sensor at 10 mp. I think I had it for a year or two before I sold it.
CSS Acadia on the Halifax waterfront  f8.0, 1/125, ISO 100

Anyway, I was hired to produce some Interpretive displays for the HMCS Sackville by the ships trust. The Sackville is the only surviving Canadian Corvette from the second world war. She has been painstakingly restored and stands as a floating museum here in Halifax Harbour.

After my initial meeting I made a point of shooting her and the ship that is berthed just down the Harbour in front of the Maritime Museum, the CSS Acadia. (If you're interested in these two vessels you can board the HMCS Sackville when she is open during tourist season and the CSS Acadia is part of the Maritime Museums exhibit.)

I wanted to be dramatic with these and accentuate the length of these hulls. So I brought out my ultra wide for the job. I thought the fisheye would be way too much and I wasn't interested in the curvature that that lens would have produced. As a matter of fact these are shot at the 24mm end (36mm in full frame).

I just wanted to capture all the vessel without getting too far away. Yes, I probably can go into Photoshop and pull the Acadias bow forward, but what I wanted is what the camera saw through that lens. Could have grabbed a 50mm and stepped back in the parking lot too, but once again I wanted to get up close and personal with these.

They were both shot in the early afternoon. One of those beautiful first days of fall, here in Nova Scotia, and the start of our Indian summer. Sometimes the weather is nicer here in the early fall than all summer and, if you are a photographer, the light is beautiful this time of year with the fall foliage putting on it's best colours for the show.

Although these are shot around 1 pm, the sun has dropped enough to give me a little longer shadow for depth, since, after all, it is September.

I shot these with a slightly warmer white balance and a 2 stop ND to cut the bright sun off the hulls. But it was bright enough to hand hold the camera. Although I think you're allowed to use a tripod on the waterfront I'd recommend against it during the busier times of day. The Halifax water front can get pretty hectic from June to the end of October.

Until then...
Enjoy, Derek

HMCS Sackville on the Halifax waterfront    f8.0, 1/125, ISO 100

No comments: